It’s been far too long in coming but I’ve finally found the time to sit down and get some progress made with regards to my next HTML5 Blog Post, which will be detailing how to convert an already existing XHTML site into a site that uses HTML5 Code.
It’s taken a while to get this far with it due to having to work to meet client deadlines and get paid work done, which means that other things have been put on hold. Fortunately I have some free time on my hands that I intend to spend working on various things, and getting this article finished is one of the top priorities.
Today was spent working on some aspects of the ArtsEkta Web Site Redesign. I believe that the site is now nearly complete, with very little work needing done to the design or development of the design. Just need to hammer out some of the finer details of the site and get content into some of the pages and things should be good to go.
Internet Treasures is a section of my blog that I’m dedicating to the various websites and tools that I find to be useful. Whilst they have their own section on my blog, you will also be able to see them dotted throughout my the main blog itself. I’ve had a similar capability within my site for a while now, but wanted to integrate it better with the site itself, and here it is.
Over the past several months I have shown off a lot of stuff, from sketches through to videos providing examples of what I have developed as a part of my coursework. Finding some of these things, however, isn’t exactly the easiest of tasks.
For the most part, this isn’t much of a problem, as a lot of the stuff I work on is revisited later. This isn’t the case with everything however. There are several pieces of code that I have produced and I’ve meant to revisit at points, but simply never have have the time to trawl through everything I’ve put up here to re-visit them.
Today sees a new section being kinda added to my Portfolio Site. It’s currently not listed anywhere on the site’s navigation but people have been able to visit some of the content it provides previously. I’ve shifted my demos into a custom post type in my WordPress Site to allow me a better control over things. As a part of this I’m also able to list the demos I have online, which is what this site does.
Today has been a rather mundane day in terms of design work per se. Instead I have been adjusting, tweaking, maintaining and quite often getting frustrated with aspects of code that I’ve been dealing with. On the whole the outcome has been positive, but some of the steps taken to get there have been most irritating.
Why? I’ve been dealing with Versioning stuff for a while now. Both GIT and SVN have been popular of late and I’ve been trying to get to grips with them both. GITHub allows for a somewhat easy (also free) way to host publicly viewable Projects. So I’ve been toying with it for a few things I’m working on that I have no problems with people using.
For my personal, and work-related, projects, however, I have been using SVN to provide versioning control over them. This has, on the whole, been pretty painless… until today. Today I’ve been having serious problems with the files from one of my projects being repeatedly merged with the files from another. This results in code which, when unknowingly uploaded, kills the site I’m currently working on.
I seem to have gotten matters resolved (again) and will continue to experiment with both SVN and GIT. On a completely unrelated note, if anyone knows of good, reliable and affordable (read as free) Private GIT Repository Sites, I’d love it if you would get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’ve known for a while now that, whilst my CSS skills are pretty good, and that they work, that I could improve upon what I’ve been doing. Especially in terms of quantity of code. The article I’m linking to today covers some of the most basic ways you can shorten your CSS code, which helped me cut out a load of lines of CSS, ultimately saving bandwidth on my own (and my clients) sites.
Last night I tweeted about an event I was at, in which a group of people discussed some of their obsessions. The link above is a screenshot of one of mine. Today I did a bit of a purge. This photo is the result.
Spent some time this morning (already?!? I know, it’s insane) working on the heading section for the redesign of the ArtsEkta site that I recreated, not too long ago, in an insane coding spree after the removal of their old site.
Today’s work sees me paying some attention to their social media and, as you can see somewhat towards the bottom, providing some layout to the content of the site, switching from a 3 column to a two column layout. I quite liked the 3 column layout but, on the whole, the site doesn’t have enough content to truly warrant it.
I’ve been doing some more work on this particular design. Originally I had intended the site to be very minimal but that presents some problems with SEO, to my understanding of things at any rate. A page filled with links doesn’t strike me as the most Search Engine Friendly site.
To that end I’m toying around with the idea of having a small amount of content alongside posts, to help combat the “big list of links” problem. Today’s work is a screenshot of how this might look, which will probably be refined over the coming days/weeks.
Decided to play around with the look of some Site Navigation today. With the way it’s being repositioned on the site it was looking rather plain. I liked the positioning of it however, and decided to play around with it a little to see what I could come up with. This is the result.